Phone: (502) 371-3523
Cynthia S. Buttorff is a member of the Estate Planning Practice Group of the firm and has been in practice for over forty years. Ms. Buttorff focuses her practice primarily in the areas of estate planning, elder law, and business succession planning, charitable giving, trust and estate administration, fiduciary law issues, non-profit organizations, and estate, gift, inheritance, and fiduciary tax matters. She advises individual clients in the development and implementation of sophisticated estate and charitable gift plans, including business succession planning. She also counsels and represents individual and corporate fiduciary clients in the administration of estates and trusts, including fiduciary litigation matters. Ms. Buttorff represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service, Kentucky Department of Revenue, and Indiana Tax Department on related estate, inheritance, gift, and fiduciary income tax controversies and advises nonprofit organizations on various issues, including formation, operations, and procedures.
Ms. Buttorff has presented seminars on estate, charitable, and tax planning strategies and on trust and estate administration topics for the Kentucky Bar Association, Louisville Bar Association, University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, and National Business Institute.
She is a member of Christ Church United Methodist and currently serves on its Board of Trustees as well as the Board of Beargrass - St. Matthews Historical Society. She previously served on the University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law Alumni Council and on the Board of Trustees for Meredith Dunn School.
Ms. Buttorff’s interests include gardening, golf, genealogy, and University of Louisville sports.
- Has achieved Martindale-Hubbell rating of Distinguished.
- Was included in Best Lawyers in America in 2013 in the practice area of Trusts and Estates.
- University of Louisville School of Law, Journal of Family Law, Articles Editor; Phi Alpha Delta.
- Bellarmine University, Delta Sigma Pi Scholarship Key — W. Fielding Rubel School of Business.
- Louisville Bar Association (Former Chair, Probate and Trust Law Section)
- Kentucky Bar Association (Probate and Trust Law Legislative Committee; Former Chair, Probate & Trust Law Section)
- American Bar Association
- Estate Planning Council of Metro Louisville, Inc. (Former President)
- Partnership for Philanthropic Planning of Kentuckiana (Former Board President)
- University of Louisville School of Law, Louisville, Kentucky, 1993 (Cum Laude),
- Bellarmine University, 1998
- Estate, Business, and Charitable Planning
- Probate and Trust
- Estate, Gift, and Fiduciary Tax
- Elder Law and Medicaid Planning
- Corporate and Nonprofit Organization